Yes, you read right. The Malaysian Chinese Association arguably possesses the most successful track record in the world as a political party representing an ethnic minority.
Er, why so, you might ask. Do note that what I’m saying is nothing novel, okay, so there’s no need to credit me. Actually it was Prime Minister Najib Razak who last year had remarked on this very same idea.
Again, why should MCA be considered the most successful political party in the world and for what achievements?
Well, MCA succeeded most superlatively in maintaining everything to be Chinese – Chinese this, Chinese that – for the Chinese constituency it serves who are living in Malay-majority, Muslim Malaysia. MCA pulled off this miraculous feat while going against the norms, and in some cases, amidst strong displeasure or objection of the majority.
Where else in the world – where the Chinese are the minority population – do you see Chinese this, that and the other in a presence that is so strongly felt? Even Singapore which is a three quarters Chinese (74.2%) does not have Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina.
Anyway, here’s what Najib said. Addressing Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) delegates in Kota Kinabalu, he cited Chinese vernacular schools as an anomaly that was owed to the pioneering Umno leadership – see ‘PM: Thanks to Umno, Chinese schools, identity protected‘ (The Malay Mail, 16 Nov 2014).
The Malay Mail quoted Najib as saying, “We give you your identity, culture, language, schools, religion – everything you wanted”.
Let’s examine Najib’s check list, shall we?
- Chinese identity – Thank you MCA. If not for you, we’d have ended up just like the Chinese Indonesians, Chinese Thai, Chinese Americans, Chinese Australians, Chinese Canadians, etc, who have been assimilated into the recipient country
- Chinese culture – Again thank you MCA because if not for you, our staple food would be cheeseburgers and hotdogs (American food culture, as one example) instead of being as we are now, i.e. highly pernickety about obtaining Chinese food
- Chinese language – If not for MCA, our local diaspora would be speaking with a heavy twang no different from the rest our neighbours in whichever country we might find ourselves residing in, and saying stuff like – as one example of Aussie lingo – “he’s simply going troppo” (a famous Paul Keating quote)
- Chinese schools – But don’t want to record Keturunan as ‘Cina’ in birth certificate and other identification papers; much prefer “Anak Malaysia”
DAP’s improved and UBAH-ed version of Chinese religion
Lim Guan Eng is a “God-fearing Christian” who tells his evangelical fellowship about “the love of Jesus for all of us” (see video clip below).
- Chinese religion – Not only traditional folk beliefs but the stock option of moving up the value chain (this is the evangelista opinion lah) through bulk import of religion made in the Bible Belt
- Everything Chinese you wanted – Nak ambik Putrajaya, can or not? Nih DAP, bukan MCA, yang tuntut
90% Chinese voters support DAP’s M’sian First demand
The government should give the Chinese what they want.
After all, the Chinese electorate has overwhelmingly and unequivocally rejected the MCA package. So might as well just grant the Chinese what they’re agitating so ferociously for, i.e. the DAP’s Malaysian First demands.
Pity our ears to hear poor MCA reviled daily by the Dapsters especially when DAP evangelistas, such as Aku-bukan-Cina-Hannah, are fighting tooth and nail for the official recognition of “zero Chinese, all Malaysians”.
Personally, I feel we have a lot to thank the MCA for with regard to the phenomenon viewed by PM Najib as “a huge concession” – or use another word if you’re an ultra Chinese and you object vehemently to the term ‘concession’ – made by the leadership of Umno.
In order to acquire the ‘concessions’, MCA had beguiled and bribed Umno, persuaded and placated, cajoled and coaxed in order to secure and maintain for us the “Chinese identity” (to borrow Najib’s phrase) which we proudly wear on our sleeve today.
But as it is, DAP is reaping the fruits of MCA’s labour, which is the creation of a minority population that considers our Chineseness as birthright even though we were not born in China.
So kesian lah, kan, for the bitter pill that the MCA has to swallow today. Hence my title ‘MCA is a victim of its own success’.
BELOW: DAP’s success at the polls made YBs out of all the individuals pictured in this montage
Chinese Malaysian First tsunami
For the record, I’m partial to the MCA approach and I am indeed grateful to them; on the other hand, I reject the DAP bullshit brand of ‘multiculturalism’ … it’s nothing but rank hypocrisy.
Yet the irony is that due to the MCA’s phenomenal success, the current generation of Chinese take our Chineseness for granted and as a given.
The Dapster-evangelistas do not even spare a second thought that this is an unnatural trend when compared against the voluntary, but just as often, the forced assimilation of minority Chinese in other countries. Or for that matter, any minority anywhere else.
They also fail to realise how a minority can be hated by the majority, for instance the Rohingya in Rakhine state, Myanmar. The DAP is now making the Chinese increasingly hated in Malaysia.
Najib said at the LDP event (mentioned earlier at the start of this article) that the BN government allowing the continuance of Chinese schools is the essence of mutual respect.
He added with mutual respect, there will be peace and harmony, the Malay Mail reported.
PLEASE TAKE THIS POLL
Peace & Harmony
MCA president Liow Tiong Lai has reaffirmed that “MCA will take some steps to ensure harmony and national unity continues to be strong”.
Despite Liow making the pledge, his own MCA website @ http://www.mca.org.my/en/ is not even bothered to be mindful of the Eid celebration.
Today is already the tenth day of Syawal. The Muslims are no longer fasting, FYI. What’s the ‘Selamat Berpuasa’ banner still doing on the MCA home page – see screen cap below.
Click to enlarge