YB Taiping’s controversial Christian right Raya greeting
DAP’s member of Parliament for Taiping David Nga Kor Ming uploaded the greeting below for Hari Raya. He is an evangelista, needless to say.
YB Nga’s message reads, “Video Aidilfitri: We serve to bless others, we are from the people, by the people & for the people. Selamat Hari Raya!”
Although he mentions Aidil Fitri as the intention, everything about his post is really American Bible Belt.
Christian fundamentalist theme
The image used by Nga is credited to Dr James Dobson, containing together with it Dobson’s organization logo and Dobson’s hashtag #YourLegacyMatters.
(1) Dr James Dobson is an American evangelical Christian leader. He’s best known as a famous and influential radio personality.
(2) The logo of Dobson’s Family Talk Christian ministry. can bee seen in Nga’s post.
Family Talk mission statement:
“To help preserve and promote the institution of the family and the biblical principles on which it is based, and to seek to introduce as many people as possible to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Specifically, the focus of the ministry is on marriage, parenthood, evangelism, the sanctity of human life and encouraging righteousness in the culture.”
(3) The hashtag #YourLegacyMatters refers to Dobson’s body of published work, i.e.
“Building A Family Legacy is a series of films, Bible studies and books designed to inspire parents to leave a priceless legacy of personal faith in Jesus Christ to their children, grandchildren… and to generations that follow.”
(4) Calling upon the “Lord” is invoking Jesus. It is Christian terminology although Nga’s message is ostensibly directed at Muslims on a special day in Islam.
(5) The phrase “guide our nation back to You” is a popular one in Christian prayer. What does Nga mean by praying to Lord Jesus that “our nation” (Malaysia) be guided back to “You” [Him]?
Malaysia is a Muslim country!
(6) What is the meaning of Nga displaying the American flag superimposed on the lighthouse (i.e. beacon / guiding light from God) imagery in his Facebook message?
Nga’s post is about “Selamat Hari Raya” wishes and the occasion is Aidil Fitri. So why does the message in his poster call for a return of the country [USA or Malaysia?] to the Christian godhead?
(7) Nga’s reference to “we are from the people, by the people & for the people” closely parallels the immortal line delivered by 16th American president Abraham Lincoln in his Gettysburg address — “government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth”.
(8) The emoji above used by Nga in his FB poster shows a pair of hands clasped in Christian prayer. Muslims do not pray using this gesture.
(9) “In God We Trust” – which is the strap used by Nga above his praying hands emoticon – is most prominently displayed as the motto printed on the back of American currency notes (dollar bill).
Gospel of Prosperity, is it?
(10) Nga also said, “We serve to bless others”, konon.
“Bless”? Provoke ada lah. This is not the first time that the DAP’s evangelista YBs are being provocative. Memang sengaja.
They call themselves Malaysian First but their frame of reference is the Christian right.
Their Red Bean Army see nothing wrong with Nga’s approach but can instead insist that those criticizing him are brainless and over-sensitive (see Lim Sian See’s take-down of the Dapsters in his FB).